East Med Summit • June 24-26 2016 • Athens, GRCosmopolitan Media Startups, Publishers, Filmmakers, Journalists, Photographers: Athens • Istanbul • Izmir • Beirut • Cairo • Rome
Agenda Committee & Speakers
Filmmaker- Izmir, Turkey
Media Entrepreneur - Tehran
Blogger – London, UK
MTV Greece – Athens
Filmmaker - New York
Magazine Editor - Athens
Journalist – Istanbul/Athens
Filmmaker - Tehran, Iran
Investigative Journalist - Athens
Literary Agent – Athens
Startup Entrepreneur - Stockholm
Photographer - Athens
Publisher - Beirut, Lebanon
Publisher, yatzer.com – Athens
Social Activism & Media – Athens
Media Entrepreneur – Athens
Journalist & Filmmaker - Istanbul
Journalist & Filmmaker - London
Video Preview: Cross-Border Collaborations...
What is the new business model for independent media?Speaking to dozens of publishers, journalists and media entrepreneurs the past couple months, as we’re building the community for the Aegean Summit, I tried to sense what the common trends were in successful new media business models. One thing that I noticed was that...
Media as a Tool for Social Progress: Alireza Jozi from TechRasa and the Start-Up Scene in Tehran‘Media as a tool for social progress’ was the theme that struck us as we were speaking to Alireza Jozi from TechRasa, an English-speaking independent media outlet that covers entrepreneurship and the start-up ecosystem in Iran. When we asked Alireza how the idea for...
How Do We Frame the Stories We Tell: Mainstream vs Independent MediaWhat do a Greek-American filmmaker living in Izmir and an Iranian indie rock musician, after a stint in Brooklyn, and now living in Tehran have in common? They both want to tell their own real-life individual stories of daily life in 2016 Izmir and Tehran and not have...
The format of the program and panel discussions is to analyze timely commercial & creative themes of the media industry through lively panel discussions with mixed-perspectives
Pitching Media Projects
Media start-ups will have an opportunity to pitch their projects to the audience and investors to seek partners and funding in the ‘pitch your media start-up’ session
The aim of the conference is to encourage on-going commercial and creative synergies amongst publishers, media startups, filmmakers, journalists and advertisers within the East Med and internationally
East Med Media Nexus
We aim to invigorate the media ecosystem in the East Med and use media as a tool for social progress, innovation and cultural extroversion
DAY 1 MORNING 9AM What is the new publishing business model?
- How do you balance resources between digital editions, print, video, social media and other platforms?
- How do we monetize content in the era of free: connecting content creators – advertisers – publishers
- What can new media projects learn from the startup culture which thrives on a no-borders philosophy
- Native advertising: making it authentic & objective, giving value to the brand and editorial integrity to writer
- Are brands the new media? Do you trust their stories?
DAY 1 MORNING 10AM: story telling in the era of social media & video
- How do we tell stories to engage the cool & youth audience: ‘hype’ & embed the journalist in the story (the Vice model) vs objectivity & distance from the story (the NY Times & CNN models); is this ethical as a professional journalist?
- Who is telling the story? ‘Parachute journalists’ vs journalists living long-term in a region; how does time alter your perspective, your excitement, your humility, your outlook – disclaiming to your audience who you are as a story-teller.
- Is the journalist destined to be the eternal freelancer; what is the new model for funding content-creators?
- How should editors engage their audiences on social media and comment sections
DAY 1 MORNING 11AM How to build engaged audiences and communities
- Evolution of media to the 2010’s: how does media make you feel? What is your urban tribe?
- Media as an engine for social progress:changing mindsets, empowerment, building transnational communities
- How do build organic communities in the era of likes, tweets, instant gratification and churning audiences; what is your mission, what do you stand for as a media platform?
DAY 1 AFTERNOON PART ONE: Pitch Your Media Startup Project
- Media entrepreneurs pitch in 3 minutes their projects to match with potential partners and seek funding
DAY 1 AFTERNOON PART TWO: Screening of Select Innovative Short Films
- Screening of select short films showing innovative story-telling methods & authentic topics
Day 2 Morning – Reaching International Audiences from the Region
- Is there a case for international syndication of local lifestyle, entrepreneurship, design and editorial pieces
- Hollywood productions in the Mediterranean; when does it work and when it does not
- Is there a case for an English speaking 24-hr international media outlet from the Mediterranean
- How can we collaborate through media in the East Med to ‘connects the dots of innovation’ in the region and project our perspectives internationally and influence existing international media to put forward local perspectives?
- Hearing the stories of migration, social crisis, economic flux from the content-creators of the region versus the mass media stories of big corporate media outlets
Day 2 Afternoon – Social Responsibility in Media & Activism
- Opening of communications and media channels between Athens – Istanbul – Beirut – Cairo; we are so close geographically and culturally, yet why do cultural stereotypes and silos still remain
- Social activism, mapping it, visualizing it and offline vs online activism and communities
- Philanthropy model and funding investigative journalism
- The rise of data journalism
- Media regulatory bodies in the East Med/EU and protecting media and intellectual creative property
- Creating positive stories and platforms on entrepreneurship, youth,education, lifestyle, travel for international audiences
Progressive cosmopolitan associations in East-Med
- Anna Lindh Foundation based in Alexandria, Egypt – analyzing inter-cultural dialogue and how to bring people together from across the Mediterranean to improve mutual respect between cultures and to support civil society
- Samir Kassir Foundation: Beirut, Lebanon May Chidiac Foundation: Beirut, Lebanon 4M The Fourth Media: Paris Platform for Independent Journalism: Istanbul
- Generation 2.0 Greece multicultural voices in media in Greece and European/national level and how can they be heard?
Videos of speakers
Agenda Committee & Invited Speakers
- Chrysovalantis Stamelos film-maker Izmir
- Nikos Katsaounis nikoskatsaounis.com New York
- Mehran Khalili: social activism & media –Omikron Project – Athens
- Iason Athanasiadis: journalist & film-maker Middle East – Istanbul
- Theopi Skarlatos: film-maker – journalist – London
- Aurore Belfrage: yourmiddleast.com – Stockholm/Middle East
- Costas Voyatzis: Yatzer.com – publisher– Athens
- Tania Karas: journalist WSJ, Reuters – Istanbul/Athens
- Spyros Ladeas: blogger – London
- Evangelia Avloniti: literary agent: Ersilia Literary Agency – Athens
- Nikos Kakavoulis: digital media entrepreneur– Athens
- Fotis Tsimelas: magazine editor – Pegasus Publishing: Homme – Athens
- Georgina Razack: MTV Greece – Athens
- Thodoris Georgakopoulos: investigative journalist diaNEOsis- Athens
The Mission of the Aegean Summit
Why an East Mediterranean Media Summit?
The cities of Athens, Istanbul, Izmir, Beirut, Rome and Cairo are seeing a wave of under-the-radar talent in media startups, publishing, bloggers, filmmaking, journalism and photography and our goal is:
- To create an annual ecosystem for media talent from the region to meet under one roof
- Network and create synergies between creative and commercial sides of industry
- Engage and influence international audiences and media to put forward local perspectives from region
- Panel discussions & workshops on video, publishing, monetization, story-telling, native advertising
- Media incubator: pitch new projects, find partners and investors for startup media projects